Friday, February 4, 2011

it's mutual




















Sit near and observe me
do my bit here and write
words on a microscreen
lacking the grace of paper
vaporous wisp smirking
from the hole in the 
corporate coffeecup lid
a velveteen taper of life
obese with pretension
I lack the courage to
linger in conversation
here by myself even while
you cross your legs
in dire anticipation-
but anticipating what? 
I have no recollection
of promises made
much less vows unspoken
mistake me not- your neck was craning
eyes darting wild and wet
lips complaining the
simple secret dimples in your cheeks 
straining to compose your thoughts
your self and emotions
your theme uncompleted
your silent protests
inelegant and pouts unfeted.
If there's anything I can do
anything left unfulfilled
a verse or chapter or comment
unmilled and mined
directed and refined I
stand readily corrected.
Instead here I still sit
my eyes engrossed by
minute electronics
and yours by my flickering fingers and
chronic yet fleeting
fantasies of more.

No comments:

Post a Comment