Tuesday, February 8, 2011

hardwood heroine

Sometimes 1 + 1= 11, at least that's what the CEO of America Online would have us believe, upon acquiring my beloved Huffington Post. I'm usually a little more cynical looking along those lines but then I happened to recall a time where I mashed up a couple of pieces I had written & it worked pretty well. Add just a smidge of touching up here & there & I had myself a workable would-be poem!

* * *

On the outside

she was coated with green muck-slime

mixed with brown

a camouflaged soldier

gnarled roots stabbing ground

at her muddied bivouac

laughing at tact, lunging with zest

limbs sprawling wide

as if calling to heaven

her arbor request

to halt fungus and scales

from their molestations

as out her pores they spill

parasitic on her body, alive

imposing their will.

I split the hard wood and

color explodes

rings shout to life

sable amidst bright yellow rife with

secrets where exposure is fresh

she sweetens the air-

the sawdust flies as blade shreds flesh

and I can shape her into a rocking horse

or park bench or a desk at which

to quench my parchment

an exhibition of lust, a behest to her beauty

reduced to possession, her prizes relinquished,

spent, used, torpid and stale- no addition of rings

nor spreading new scent

now hollow in color

marred by spackle and stain

no mystery left within

arthritic, contorted in pain

She stood in the forest picturesque

now in her nakedness in my cabin

lays awkward wronged and grotesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment