Tuesday, February 1, 2011

bravado!

















Every politician, talk show host, minister, CEO, manager, salesperson or poet needs a sort of confidence about them. The best of them combine that with humility. The worst of them don't.

For the latter, this behavior often disguises the pain of feelings of inferiority. I dedicate this poem to that group and to myself. I've alienated too many people in my life by acting in arrogance. My apologies to those I have hurt.

One of the oldest poems for which I'll still claim credit.

* * *

I am power!
Don't roam near me
lest I crush you 'neath my feet!
I take the written word
warp it into my image
move the mountains of language
bowling over the frightened masses
that before drove me under
those very protrusions.

I am thunder!
Booming, roaring
into the nighttime air!
None stand who can rival
my monotonous rumble
my sonic scream of dialect
carving notches in your skull
etching completely the percussive force
of my chaos.

I am lightning!
Flashing, fiery
into the storm I go!
The overwhelming surges
commanding your synapses
are caused by me -
they are born of my electric soul
originate in my will-
you are helpless to conform.

I am giant!
Corpulent form
shoving others from my path
freeing my mitts to thieve all glory,
treetrunk legs to mount all summits.
I bludgeon all foes with
knees and elbows until...

i am all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment