Friday, January 14, 2011

questioner

For today, I am posting a poem I wrote when on the road for a job I used to have. I was lonely for my kids & wrote this poem in honor of my daughter, Amara. It became the most popular entry on my old site, with double the hits of any other poem each month. I read this at Amara's celebration of life at WMS.

* * *

My girl says,“I want to do it my way.”

Cyphers how its done without being taught

lessons would simply muddy her thoughts,

her trials spinning silk from everyday ether.



My girl says,“I think God is us.”



A bold declarative

her narration on life,

on her drifty soul

after a day at the waterpark

with Daddy on the trip back home-

a sudden insight on deity.



My girl says,“Oh my GOSH...”

A blurt before giggles

grandly juggled in throat

unleashed upon world

with accompanying snort

she laughs so hard-she's wild and brazen with life.



My girl says,“Amenandsomoteitbe.”

Speedily, sprightly

ending her prayers, only

pretending to be prepared

for bed- in reality ready to pounce

on ponderings pulsing thick through her always-busy head.



My girl says,“Was that a good question?”

And I pause, marveling at her confidence, her wit

to have these queries at six, her mind ablaze, and I respond,

“They're all good.”



I'm hopeful she'll never run out of questions to ask,

nor I answers to the symphonies and strands

my girl says.

No comments:

Post a Comment